Thursday, November 24, 2005

Any comments Mr President?


For such an important national celebration as the second anniversary of the 'Rose Revolution', it was surprising that the media was not offered an opportunity to interview President Mikheil Saakashvili until very late on Wednesday evening. And only then at a very staged managed media conference for foreign press only. Earlier in the week, numerous requests to his staff for an interview came back with the reply that The President is a very busy man. Indeed.

On Tuesday, frustrated with getting no where I even turned up at the Presidential Dinner in Mtskheta (about 25 minutes out of Tbilisi) to try to get that elusive exclusive. Having cheesy-smiled my way inside I found myself sitting a little uncomfortably in front of the band, but beside the Aide de Camp for the Estonian President. An affable naval officer, we spoke quickly between song breaks about the giant steps Estonia has taken with 'e-government'. The food was satisfactory and I kept the menu as a souvenir. I particularly liked the 'Boiled Cheese with Mint', though I passed on a few of the 'Assorted shish-kebab'. As for the evening's entertainment, the athleticism of the traditional Georgian dancers was impressive.

Once dessert had been served, I asked one of the President's (American) advisers if I could have a few moments with him for an interview. The response from The President was quite swift and decisive. He took up a microphone, told everyone he was leaving and strode out.

The following day (Wednesday) I still had hopes of getting at least a couple of grabs from The President. At the forum (see earlier post) I knew that if I was in the right position when he arrived I might get a few words.

Naturally, every other journalist, snapper and TV cameraman had the same idea. What made it even more confusing were the presence of Romania and Ukrainian journalists and camera crews. They too wanted to interview their respective Presidents. Throw in a sneeky back entrance and for about 20 minutes prior to Presidential arrivals you had an Ealing 'Carry On' comedy of journalists, photographers, cameramen and security staff running around the Marriot Hotel helter skelter.

Close to the Hotel Ballroom where the forum was taking place I took up post near a room marked VIP. And would you believe it, Mikheil Saakashvili marched up the stairs and headed straight towards me and the VIP Room. Despite being bundled out of the way by burly large men in black, I was able to remain close to the VIP room and when Saakashvili popped out to greet the Estonian President I yelled out if he had any comments to make. Thrusting out my microphone, the President answered some questions. But in the midst of it all I always wonder why does my brain go blank? If you only have time to ask maybe two questions... what should you ask?

Anyway it was enough to file... and to make me smile.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home